During the next National Twelfth Five-Year Plan period, Nanjing focuses on “talents as the primary resources, education as the primary foundation, science as the primary productivity, and innovation as the primary driving-force”, chooses a pathway that is based on innovation, internal development, and environmental sustainability, and implements the key measures of “inviting the technical and managing talents to lead the development, building techno park and other infrastructure to support them”. The City Council has made a suite of plans to attract high tech talents by building techno parks and provide supportive measures. We have initiated the Nanjing 321 Strategy which is designed to attract 3000 Leading Entrepreneurial and High-tech Talents, promote 200 High-tech Entrepreneurs, and gather 100 Start-up Winners of “the Recruitment Program of Global Experts” within five years.
Program for Attracting Leading Entrepreneurial High-Tech Talents
To gather a galaxy of leading entrepreneurs and high-tech talents from home and abroad, the Program for Attracting Leading Entrepreneurial High-Tech Talents is formulated by implementing the key measures of “inviting the technical and managing talents to lead the development, building techno park and other infrastructure to support them”.
Oriented towards developing the strategic emerging technical and service industries, and transforming and upgrading pillar industries, we expect to attract 3,000 entrepreneurial high-tech talents by the end of 2015, including ~1,000 returned overseas students, ~1,000 from Hong Kong, Macao, Taiwan and foreign countries, and 1,000 high-caliber talents in mainland.
The target talents of the program are those with Master’s or higher degree, or associate professor or higher title, and meet one of the following qualifications:
1. Leaders in relevant science and technology area in the world who have the research achievements with high technology content, broad application, and high market potential.
2. Owners or main developers of proprietary intellectual property right or the core technology with internationally advanced and domestically leading research results of great market potential and possibility of industrial production.
3. Having independent startup experience in China and beyond. Familiar with hi-tech industries and able to bring technology, projects, funding, and investment to start business in Nanjing.
Those meet following qualifications will be considered immediately:
1. Member of Chinese Academy of Sciences, Chinese Academy of Engineering, professionals included in the national “The Recruitment Program of Global Experts” or people listed in Jiangsu “Innovative and Entrepreneurial Talent Program”.
2. Technical and management talents with middle-level or above managing experience in Fortune 500 companies or senior professional position in China’s top 500.
3. Scholars and specialists with associate professor title or above in established universities and research institutes of other regions and countries.
4. Professors and researchers in “985” and “211” Universities or Nanjing local universities and research institutes.
Exceptions can be made for other outstanding talents.
Ⅲ. Entrepreneurial Approaches
Talents can start business in the special community of technology startup (special cluster of innovative and entrepreneurial talents), high-tech zone, development zone (Industrial Park, Techno Park and Innovative Blocks) and various incubators of technology enterprises in the following ways:
Leading entrepreneurial high-tech talents from home and abroad can start business independently in Nanjing, or they can invest their technological results and capital in a joint venture, which they jointly establish with other private funds.
Leading entrepreneurial high-tech talents can serve as project manager or higher-ranking managers in local companies with holding shares or options.
Ⅳ. Supporting Policies
1. Startup Support
The startup projects selected after review process will be further divided into key projects and regular projects.
(1) Key projects will be provided with the startup fund of RMB 2 million, working space of no less than 100 square meters and an apartment of no less than 100 square meters, rental-free within 3 years. According to the requirements of the project, they are entitled to startup investment of no less than RMB 3 million and loan guarantee of no less than RMB 3 million.
(2) Regular projects will be provided with startup fund of RMB 1 million, working space of no less than 100 square meters and an apartment of no less than 100 square meters, rental-free within 3 years. According to the requirements of the project, they are entitled to startup investment of no less than RMB 1.5 million and loan guarantee of no less than RMB 1.5 million.
(3) Technology results can be converted into capital stock no higher than 70% of the registered capital. In case of investment increase, there is no limitation to the proportion of shares converted from technology results. When applying for the Business License for Legal Person, the business legal person qualification and management qualification can be registered separately.
2. Scientific and Educational Support
(4) Talents from universities and research institutes who start a business in Nanjing will retain their previous academic position and professional titles within three years. We will make arrangements for them in Nanjing or help them return to their original organization after 3 years.
(5) We will coordinate universities and research institutes in Nanjing to spare 50 posts of professors and researchers for intended and qualified talents.
(6) We will integrate library materials, research platforms and public technology service platforms of Nanjing’s universities and institutes and give access to the selected talents. Subsidies will be provided for incurred cost.
(7) Innovation and entrepreneurship mentor group will be established. Academicians of CAS and CAE will sit in the innovative mentor group. Successful entrepreneurs and technology entrepreneurs will also be the enterprising mentor group members
3. Financial Support
(8) Venture capitals invested for over two years will be rewarded with 1% of the total investment volume. For those experiencing losses, risk compensation worth 30% of the actual investment losses will be provided.
(9) Loan guarantee companies will be subsidized with 2.5% of the annual accumulative amount guaranteed.
(10) IPR mortgage loans of RMB 0.5 million, 1 million and 2 million will be granted in accordance with the IPR assessment.
(11) Technology insurance premium subsidy, which is 30%-50% of the premium, will be provided.
(12) The local retained portion of the corporate income taxes would be totally refunded to the enterprises in the first 3 years since the companies make profits.
(13) The selected talents will be treated as Nanjing citizens without restrictions when purchasing their first residential housing for their own dwelling. The local retained part of the personal income taxes would be totally subsidized in the first 5 years since the enterprise is registered.
(14) The imported research equipment that conforms to the policy regulations and a reasonable amount of personal daily necessities will be exempted from import taxes or given full subsidies.
4. Supportive Living Services
(15) The selected talents , their spouses and children will be offered the Nanjing Blue Card, a card providing them citizen privileges and other special policies as follows:
①The selected talents from Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan as well as foreign countries will obtain residence endorsement or permit immediately and eligible foreigners will immediately obtain the Foreigner’s Permanent Residence Card.
②Those selected are entitled to supplementary medical insurance and free physical checkup and recuperation services; Their spouses and
children will enjoy together with themselves VIP Green Channel Services in designated hospitals.
③Education in public schools in their neighborhood will be offered without either examination or charge to the school-age children of the selected; if the children really need to attend schools in another neighborhood, it will be properly handled by competent education authorities without charge. For those children of the age for preschool education, they will be arranged to attend local public kindergartens. Tuition fee for senior high school students will be reduced or exempted. Students attending international schools or classes will be subsidized with average per student expenditure for public school students.
④Those holding valid overseas driving licenses can directly apply for China’s Motor Vehicle Driving License.
Ⅴ. Organization Guarantee
1. Under the leadership of the Municipal Leading Group for Talent Team Building and Scientific and Technological Innovation, we will institute the Program Office for Attracting Leading Entrepreneurial High-Tech Talents. The Office, placed within the Municipal Bureau of Human Resources and Social Security, will be in charge of overall coordination and specific implementation of the program.
2. The Municipal Leading Group for Talent Team Building and Sci-tech Innovation will conduct regular examination and assessment over task fulfillment in all districts, counties, departments and techno parks, and in this regard the veto-by-one-vote system will be employed.
3. A program web site for attracting leading entrepreneurial high-tech talents will be set up so as to accept on-line application year round and conduct review at regular intervals. The function of Business Service Center for Attracting Leading Entrepreneurial High-Tech Talents will be added to the Municipal Talent Service Center to provide one-stop and zero-charge services.
4. We will work out a system to tie municipal, district, county and department leaders with those selected talents to guarantee services.
5. The Municipal Leading Group for Talent Team Building and Sci-Tech Innovation is responsible for the interpretation of this document. If there should be any deviation from this document in previous ones, this document shall prevail.
6. Detailed implementation measures for this document will be compiled separately.
Program for Fostering High-Tech Entrepreneurs
The Program for Fostering High-Tech Entrepreneurs is formulated as follows in order to develop a number of pilot and leading high-tech entrepreneurs by implementing the key measures of “inviting the technical and managing talents to lead the development, building techno park and other infrastructure to support them”,
By the end of 2015, to cultivate 200 leading high-tech entrepreneurs in the hi-tech or modern service sectors who can create innovative technological approaches, business models and new industrial landscapes.
II. Program Candidates
The candidates of this program should be included in national, provincial and municipal talent programs. Additionally, they must meet the following requirements:
1. The candidates should be equipped with global perspective and sustainable innovation capacity, possess intellectual property rights for key technologies, and have gained cutting-edge technological achievements domestically and aboard;
2. Candidates’ projects should have broad market prospects and preliminary requirements for mass production and commercialization are met.
Those listed in the national “The Recruitment Program of Global Experts” and the “Program for Attracting Leading Entrepreneurial High-Tech Talents” of Nanjing will be chosen with priority.
III. Cultivation Measures
1. No less than RMB 10 million loan guarantee will be provided to companies owned by the 200 leading high-tech entrepreneurs with inadequate liquid capital during the commercialization process and subsidies on interest payment will be provided according to the repayment amount and benchmark interest rate of bank loan in that year; if venture capital is introduced, 30% to 50% of that amount will be allocated from the municipal venture capital as shares to the specific project; business premises rental will be exempted in the first two years for those included in the Enterprise Accelerator or Intermediate Test Base. First two years is rental-free in the Enterprise Accelerator or Pilot Test Base.
2. According to the national preferential tax policies, the corporate income tax is 15% for high and new technology enterprises while 25% for others. For newly-operated hi-tech enterprises before identification and designation as high and new technology enterprises enjoy 15% income tax and the balance will be subsidized by the local fiscal budget.
3. In allocating all sorts of municipal industrial and sci-tech expenditures, companies owned by the 200 leading high-tech entrepreneurs will be prioritized through separate consideration and review. For those taking on provincial and national special projects, each will be awarded a prize equivalent to the financial support from superior authorities.
4. RMB 200 thousand to one million will be provided as financial assistance to those who build municipal “Three Stations and Three Centers”, and for those who build provincial and national “Three Stations and Three Centers”, each will be awarded a prize equivalent to the financial support from superior authorities.
5. A catalogue of independent innovation products will be documented. Systems will be put in place to ensure that the products are custom made for the government and first purchased and used by the government; if any such product participates in bid for purchasing by government budget, bonus points will be granted in bid assessment.
6. The selected talents, core members of corporate teams, and leading sci-tech talents will be treated equal to Nanjing citizen. Since the day of being selected or recruited, the amount of local retained personal income tax will be refunded in total in the first five years
7. The system of One Profile for One Person and One Policy for One Company will be adopted. Successful and sci-tech business leaders and entrepreneurs will be invited to be mentors of startup businesses. Moreover, well-known consulting institutions and sci-tech service institutions will be employed to provide professional services.
8. The full amount of training and transportation expenses will be supported for those selected attending entrepreneurship training courses domestically and aboard.
IV. Organization Guarantee
1. Under the leadership of the Municipal Leading Group for Talent Team Building and Scientific and Technological Innovation, the Program Office for Fostering Scientific and Technological Entrepreneurs will be instituted under the Municipal Committee of Science and Technology, and the office is responsible for overall coordination and specific implementation of the work.
2. We will work out a system to tie municipal, district, county, and department leaders with those selected candidates for the program so as to guarantee services.
3. Local government and related departments should closely follow up with the operation performance and project progress of the enterprises list in the program in quarterly reports and devote every effort to implement the policy and service work in order to be qualified in annual assessment system.
4. The Municipal Leading Group for Talent Team Building and SciTech Innovation is responsible for the interpretation of this document. In case of discrepancy between the document and the previous ones, this document shall prevail.
5. Detailed implementation measures for this document will be compiled separately.
Nanjing Municipal Office of Talents Service
41, Beijing East Road, Nanjing, J.S.210008, CHN
[office src=”https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=7AB7FD6DAFD8FCF1&resid=7AB7FD6DAFD8FCF1%21150&authkey=AGETuoBoTwdmhlo” width=”98″ height=”98″]